August 7, 2011

What Gives You The Right To Complain?

Seriously? We all listen to complaints. We all have them. But what makes anyone's problems more worthy of hearing? It seems common, that while complaining, the plaintiff has a superiority complex. As if the simple fact that they are stating their problems makes their problems the greatest in the whole world. Obviously, that isn't the case 99% of the time. Yeah, I just made up that statistic.
Anyways, I'm not writing to complain about whiny people. That would make me a huge hypocrite. I'm writing to try and understand empathy, or the lack of it, when someone starts to tell you their problems. I always try to see others' perspectives, but find myself apathetic sometimes. Mostly when someone else is in pain. We've all been in pain. And sometimes, you just want to tell someone to stop being a crybaby. The next time I'm in pain, though, I do want someone to listen to me and emphasize. And I believe most people think that by not talking about pain, etc., it means you are stronger. But are complainers weak? Everyone is always searching for the people that will listen to their most juvenile complaints.

And, as often happens, I realized that this post is going nowhere, and that I've said all I've got to say.

It comes down to this: When do you feel you've overstepped your bounds when complaining. Call it what you will- Sharing a story, describing a bad experience, relationships, pain, anxiety... When is it ok and when should you "man up"? Is it possible to share a bad experience without someone else labeling it complaining?

No comments:

Post a Comment