May 3, 2011

About Bin Laden

I'm really very glad that I've been coming across quite a few articles and comments like this one:

*Update*
I found this quote that echoes my sentiments.

The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy. Instead of diminishing evil, it multiplies it. Through violence you may murder the liar, but you cannot murder the lie, nor establish the truth. Through violence you may murder the hater, but you do not murder hate. In fact, violence merely increases hate. So it goes. Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
~ Martin Luther King, Jr.

Osama Won

I've been thinking a lot about this. It is a little unusual for me. I never thought I would care if Bin Laden lived or died. I do, though.

His murder may have been justified. I am not a God and I cannot judge anyone. I personally believe there is no such thing as evil. I really  believe that an eye for an eye is bullshit.
And the fact that Americans took to the streets, filled with joy, makes me feel fucking sick.
As outside of the norm as Osama Bin Laden's life was, he was still human. This is a somber occasion.
I just wish Americans (outside of Wisconsin, of course, we're already proving our awesomeness) could get that riled up about something important and create a real reason the celebrate.

I know, I know... Beggars and horses and all that lot...

Ugh.

I almost feel that I am in mourning. Mourning because every time the government said Osama was alive, I cried "liars!", mourning the figurehead of terrorism for the past 10+ years.... The war in Afghanistan is a different war now, then it was 9 years ago, but... Why are the soldiers there? It's a childish feeling really... Ooo, analogy time:

We fought the playground's biggest bully and bloodied his nose. But now he's crying and everyone is looking at us funny. What do we do now?

We're still here, and we still have to go to school with the bully, but how do we coexist? Will the bully retaliate? Will we become the new bullies?

I really wish we'd get suspended from school all together..

No comments:

Post a Comment