May 31, 2011

Sometimes...

... You have to go against the grain. Defend your beliefs to the death. Be proud.
Have the strengths to withstand insults.

"Don't you cherish anything", my mother asked...

Yes, mom... Just not the things you do.
I cherish warm summer days, conversations with my friends, sharing memories with my family, writing, the pictures that I have scattered about, my left behind unfinished paintings, the blanket I've had since I was 3, the letter I sent to Grandma Lou that was in her mailbox when she died, my family history, the millions of questions I have yet to ask about the world, the smiles of my nieces and nephews when they try to get away with something, the smell of lilacs and coffee grounds, cooking with good food, traveling, books....

Why would you say such a thing?
I don't dream of babies and getting married again. I don't dream of settling down. I don't dream of a cookie cutter life. For now, this is my life. I want to live it for me. You don't need to have children to leave a legacy, and you don't need a man to feel whole.

Sometimes, I wish my mom was a little younger.

Should I apologize for thinking too much and picking everything apart to find out how/why/what?

Bloody hell.

No comments:

Post a Comment